Heirs To Our Oceans hosts its S.E.A.L. -- Summit for Empowerment Action & Leadership – each summer. At this 2-week Summit, seasoned and budding youth leaders come together to:
· Learn about human impact on our oceans and waterways through instruction and workshops prepared and lead by Heirs on the subjects of coral, deep sea habitat, unsustainable fishing practices, plastic pollution, land-sea pollution, climate change and its effects on marginalized communities and how to speak to a Congressperson to make change;
· Learn through in-the-field work with scientists and experts;
· Learn public speaking and leadership skills;
· Journal and write their portion of a presentation;
· Learn to use a GoPro and, in teams of 6-7 youth, make 5-minute documentary films on human impacts on our oceans including a virtual reality film; and finally
· At the end of the 2 weeks they present to the community about what is happening to our oceans and ecosystems and the importance of protecting it for future generations. This is both an oral presentation and a showing of their documentary films. All of the participants succeed in presenting and in film making. The Summit and the final presentation is a success, new environmental leaders are formed, and our ocean and water-protecting family grows.